Thunderbird/gmane?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 22:03:32 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 02:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/18/2011 11:16 AM, Jeff G. wrote:
>> On 09/18/2011 08:25 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> Ok, doing this plus dropping down one more sub folder to news.gmane.org
>>> and deleting the .msf file worked briefly. After Tbird downloaded all
>>> the 240,000 plus headers it displayed both the read and unread messages.
>>> But when I switched to another newsgroup and then back Tbird darkened on
>>> the screen and became unresponsive. A eventually a dialog popped up
>>> saying a script was misbehaving and did I want to cancel it. I cancelled
>>> it and all the unread messages disappeared again.
>>>
>>> I want to thank you and sktsee for pointing me in the right direction.
>>> Now I know how to display them I can work on the other problem.
>> what extensions are you using?
>>
>> the script error is a known anomaly generally caused by an extension -
>> don't know if that interfered with your messages, though, but if you
>> have some mail extension installed, it may.
>
> I can replicate. In TB 6.0.2 I show over 248K in unread messages.
> Normally when I have that many in a newsgroup that I frequent often, I
> 17th. As soon as it started I got the javascript error:
> ====
> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.
> You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script
> will complete.
>
> Script: chrome://messenger/content/markByDate.js:137
> ===
>
> At that point I can either elect to stop the script or continue. I
> select 'Continue' TB greys out for a second (expected), and I get the
> message again (not expected). This time I tick the 'Don't ask me again'
> box and again click 'Continue'. TB greys out (expected as it is sucking
> CPU&  it takes a very long time to go through 248K+ headers), but no
> more script error, and finally my unread count is 15. So give that a try
> Jim&  see if it finally completes for you.

My experience is about the same.  When I clicked 'Continue' it did not
pop back up. It continued to completion and my unread count was set
correctly, but I no longer had access to previously read messages, did
you?

Maybe I am completely misunderstanding what should happen.  Based on
what you wrote a couple of days ago that an advantage of gmane was you
would have 240,000 threaded messages available to search.  I thought
that I could set it to see only unread messages, but if for some reason
I wanted to see an old one, I could tell it to show all and I would have
access to them.

After all of this fussing around with settings I can see that the
performance penalty far exceeds any real need I have to search them all.
I've realized that ideally having all the messages of any thread that
has unread messages in it is what I want.  I realize that there is a
view-->threads-->threads with unread but I can't get that to work any
better than view all.  I've sort of been doing that with this thread by
as soon as I open a message I immediately mark it as unread that way the

Again maybe I don't understand how it is designed to work.

Regards,  Jim