Downloading in Firefox stuck

Bruce Pieterse octoquadza at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:46:42 UTC 2011

On Thu 13 Oct 2011 18:27:38 SAST, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>
>> I am trying to download Oneiric iso in Firefox 7 and it has stuck at
>> 478 of 695MB. I wonder what to do now.  I have limited bandwidth so
>> don't want to start again unless necessary.  I have waited an hour but
>> nothing is happening.  FF is still going ok, it is just the download
>> that has got stuck.
>>

> If your bandwidth is limited, your best bet is probably to either
> download it over bittorrent for the reliability and speed, or wait until
> the rush is over (give it a few days), by which point you'll be able to
> get more reliable HTTP connections to the various HTTP mirrors.
>
> In fact, bittorrent is almost always the fastest and most reliable way
> to get it, especially immediately post-release.

Colin,

If you click pause it should resume as I have just tested it. However
if you need to restart your internet connection you can pause it,
restart the connection and resume.

If you want to make sure that you don't lose your progress you can do
the following.

- Pause the download
- Copy the ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part as
ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part.bak
- Resume the download, if it fails to resume follow the next step
- Start the download again
- As soon as it starts, pause it and delete the
ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part or ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
(sometimes the .part is not there)
- Copy ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part.bak as
ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part or ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
- Resume Download

It has worked for me a few times, however the download will always
restart if the server doesn't support resuming.

I haven't tried this but you could also start a torrent download, pause
it after the download has begun, delete the file that was there,
replace it with your .part version, verify the download and the start
the download in your favourite torrent app.

I hope this helps you :)

Happy Downloading!

--
Best of luck,