Broken boot config after update to 11.04

Jens Müller blog at tessarakt.de
Wed May 4 14:42:10 UTC 2011

Hi all,

unfortunately, I managed to break my boot configuration in the course of
updating from 10.10 to 11.04. Not horribly dramatic, the partitions
should still be there, and I have other computers to use in the meantime ...

So, let me explain step by step.

First, an explanation: I have a HDD configuration that is a bit unusual:
/boot is on a RAID consisting of /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. /dev/sda2 and
/dev/sdb2 form a RAID as well, which is a LVM physical volume. The
logical volume in the corresponding volume group is encrypted. The
partition in the crypt container again is a PV, the corresponding VG
contains the partitions, including the root partition. Sounds a bit
complicated, might have been possible in an easier way, but has worked
well so far. Due to this unusual config, I had to use the text mode
installer (when installing 10.04 or 9.10, don't remember exactly, should
be one of those). The password prompt for dmcrypt is on a blue text mode
screen (yeah, the bluescreen blue ...), not in graphic mode like on my
Netbook, which also has encrypted root, but has been installed with the
standard installer and a pre-defined partition layout.

sudo do-release-upgrade worked fine, in principle. At the end, it asked
whether it should reboot. I said 'yes'. After that, I got said blue
screen, but empty.

Then I booted with a 11.04 CD, mounted /boot, executed grub-install. The
system now booted.

I think I installed some more updates, then I put the system to
hibernate, and the next evening I wanted to boot the system again.

Now grub does not find commands:

Fehler: unknown command '['
Fehler: unknown command '['
Fehler: unknown command 'save_env'
Fehler: unknown command 'search'
Fehler: unknown command 'linux'
Fehler: unknown command 'initrd'

(the system is configured to German, "Fehler" means "Error".

Can someone give me a hint what might be wrong or what I should try?

Best,

Jens