installing eclipse 3.6 on ubuntu 10.10?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 27 13:50:17 UTC 2011

On 27 March 2011 14:29, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>  replying to my earlier post, i went ahead and installed eclipse
> 3.6.0 from the PPA.  it seemed to install properly, i got the
> appropriate entry under Applications -> Programming, but when i start
> it, i get (briefly) the eclipse helios splashscreen, then nothing.
> and i have no idea where eclipse might be logging its error messages.
>
>  i see nothing in /var/log/messages, so i'm open to suggestions.  or
> is installing eclipse 3.6.0 from the PPA just plain doomed to failure?
> thanks.

I don't know about eclipse but often errors can be seen by running an
app from a terminal window.  First right click on Applications and
select Edit Menus, Click on Programming then Eclipse and then the
Properties button to show the command to use.  Open a terminal
(Applications > Accessories > Terminal and type in the command (leave
off any % parameters shown in the command).  Errors (helpful or
otherwise) may then appear in the terminal window.

Colin