installing eclipse 3.6 on ubuntu 10.10?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Mar 27 13:29:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   for the sake of diving back into eclipse after a lengthy absence, it
> would seem that i might as well go straight to eclipse 3.6.  (i have
> no existing projects that would make backward compatibility an issue
> of any kind.)
>
>   given that i'd like to install 3.6 from actual packages, a quick
> google shows me this:
>
>   https://launchpad.net/~eclipse-team/+archive/debian-package
>
> can anyone verify that the PPA packages should work fine under ubuntu
> 10.10?  this is just for the sake of getting up to speed on eclipse
> again so it's not like it has to be mission-critical quality reliable,
> it's just for playing.

  replying to my earlier post, i went ahead and installed eclipse
3.6.0 from the PPA.  it seemed to install properly, i got the
appropriate entry under Applications -> Programming, but when i start
it, i get (briefly) the eclipse helios splashscreen, then nothing.
and i have no idea where eclipse might be logging its error messages.

  i see nothing in /var/log/messages, so i'm open to suggestions.  or
is installing eclipse 3.6.0 from the PPA just plain doomed to failure?
thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca