Jesus! I hate 11.04, WTF happened? This is awful. Somebody's head should be smacked!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 6 18:01:20 UTC 2011

On 03/06/2011 03:38 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Le 06/03/2011 03:45, NoOp a écrit :
>

>> FWIW: +1 on Natty Unity.
>> Attempting to do anything with it on a 1 y.o. HP G60US Notebook just
>> plain sucks&  results in multiple crashes.
>
> One general word of advice on the subject. It's only a question of using
> the right tool for the job. As much as I like the shiny new Ducati 1198
> sports bike, I wouldn't exactly use it for a trip from France to India
> and over the Himalaya. For this, a BMW 1250 GS would be more appropriate.

Your analogy doesn't work. Nor does it make any sense. Oh, and I bought
my first Ducati in 1968...

> Similarly, if you're looking for stability on a production machine, why
> not simply use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS? I'm an IT professional using 100%
> GNU/Linux for the last ten years, and I wonder what it is that you're
> possibly looking for in Ubuntu 11.04 that's not featured in 10.04 or
> 10.10. If you want to use Unity *and* have a rock-solid system under the
> hood, then why not simply wait until next year, until 12.04 LTS comes
> out? Leave the alpha-and-beta-testing hassle to the developers.

I think that if you review the archives for this list you'll find that
I've generally test every alpha since breezy. You'll also find that I am
pretty active in launchpad.
  I fully expect crashes; my comments are primarily aimed at the Unity
interface. Have you tried it? Some will like it, others hate it. But
that's a subject for the sounder list (at least until April).

That said, this alpha (up until yesterday's updates) seems to crash
considerably more than previous alphas (dapper, edgy, feisty, gutsy,
hardy, lucid). I suspect that the bulk of the crashes I observed are due
to the Unity integration.