NIC device names changed

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Mar 4 14:36:51 UTC 2011

On 11-03-04 06:05 AM, stan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 04:21:17PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
>
>> On 11-03-03 03:51 PM, stan wrote:
>>
>>> I had a hardware failure, and as a result the motherboard (which hs built
>>> in NIC's) was changed on one of my 10.04 machines. Now the devices whic
>>> were eth0, and eth1 are showing up as sth2 and eth3.
>>>
>>> How can I fix this, short of reconfiguring all my networking? And is there
>>> a way to prevent this (truly ugly) behavior in the future?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> The behaviour is by design, and not as ugly as you probably think right
>> now.  And it's easy to fix.  The NIC's are saved in:
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>
>> You can edit that file to your liking (move the entry for eth0, since
>> that hardware is no longer there, and change eth3 to eth0) or you can
>> simply delete the file and reboot (a new file will be created with the
>> infor for your current hardware)
>>
>> This mechanism actually exists to *prevent* your interfaces from
>> changing names when new networking devices are added, removed, etc.
>>

> Thaks for the help. Your advice should let me recoer from this mess.
> However, if possile I would still like to be able to permanantely disbale
> this functtionality on every U\Ubuntu machine that I am responsible for.
>
> Is ther a mechanisim for doing this?

I don't think you understand what you are asking for... if you disable
the persistent-net rules, your network devices can change seemingly at
random any time (kernel updates, bios changes, usb network device
plugged in when you boot, etc.)  I'm sure it can be disabled very
easily, though I don't know how myself at the top of my head.  Not
something I would even bother trying myself.