NIC device names changed

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Mar 3 21:21:17 UTC 2011

On 11-03-03 03:51 PM, stan wrote:
> I had a hardware failure, and as a result the motherboard (which hs built
> in NIC's) was changed on one of my 10.04 machines. Now the devices whic
> were eth0, and eth1 are showing up as sth2 and eth3.
>
> How can I fix this, short of reconfiguring all my networking? And is there
> a way to prevent this (truly ugly) behavior in the future?
>
> Thanks.

The behaviour is by design, and not as ugly as you probably think right
now.  And it's easy to fix.  The NIC's are saved in:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

You can edit that file to your liking (move the entry for eth0, since
that hardware is no longer there, and change eth3 to eth0) or you can
simply delete the file and reboot (a new file will be created with the
infor for your current hardware)

This mechanism actually exists to *prevent* your interfaces from
changing names when new networking devices are added, removed, etc.