11.04 firewall not on by default??

Wes James comptekki at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 22:13:42 UTC 2011

I installed ubuntu 11.04 and thought a firewall was on by default.  It
seems that it is not. I installed sshd and postgresql and was able to
remote in to them both (ssh user at host and psql -h host -U user -d db)
without configuring any firewall settings.

I then installed ufw and then things were blocked by default and I
opened the ssh and pg ports with the gui tool.

I thought all (most??) linux distros (all i've used in the past -
redhat, fedor, opensuse) had a firewall on by default.  This sight
even says 11.04 has a firewall on by default:

http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/05/13/firewall-for-ubuntu-11-04/

So why does it seem there is no firewall "on" when 11.04 is installed?

Thanks,

-wes