11.04 firewall not on by default??

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jun 27 22:20:46 UTC 2011

On 27 June 2011 23:13, Wes James <comptekki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed ubuntu 11.04 and thought a firewall was on by default.

No, we don't ship with the firewall configured by default.

> I installed sshd and postgresql and was able to
> remote in to them both (ssh user at host and psql -h host -U user -d db)
> without configuring any firewall settings.

That is "normal".

> I thought all (most??) linux distros (all i've used in the past -
> redhat, fedor, opensuse) had a firewall on by default.  This sight
> even says 11.04 has a firewall on by default:

Nope. We ship with no ports open by default. So you had to actively
install an ssh server, at which point you can make the decision about
whether to firewall it or not.

> http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/05/13/firewall-for-ubuntu-11-04/

"Natty Narwhal or any other Linux distros is very secure by default as
they have built in firewalls running by default. "

That's questionable. We have a firewall "on" by default in that it's
based on iptables built into the kernel, but nothing is configured as
blocked by default, because we don't ship any open ports by default as
I said.

Al.