[OT] why isn't bikeshed good enough as a sounder replacement?

Donald Talbert donaldtalbert at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 20:29:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 17:25 +1000, ruscook wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 18:57 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > I. On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 08:16 +1000, ruscook wrote:

> > > Nice point. I can't understand why people can't get over this. This is
> > > open source and the internet.
> > >
> > > That means, if you don't like how it's being run - start your own
> > > forum and or distro - that is freedom. We each have it.
> > >
> > > Whinging because someone else won't pay for it, is leeching.
> >
> > Well, Wiz's point was that there was some sort of consensus reached,
> > that didn't include us. Running an one additional mail list on Ubuntu
> ah, but when we're not paying the bills why should it include us?
> There was an expectation there not matched with $$ nor agreed by the
> other party.
> > servers doesn't exactly cost much. Let me know who to write the check
> > out to, for 5 cents worth of electricity a month, and I'll write it just
> > so there is no monetary issue at stake. <grins>
> >
> Well I think that's a bit simplistic. 10s and 100s of gigabyte cost a
> fair bit to provision on production servers. Then there's traffic
> volumes of ISPs, staff to ensure the system is running and finally
> electricity. True the last 2 would be split across all apps running on
> the system but it's still a cost that Mark's company has paid.
>

> And as I said, anyone who doesn't like it is free to set up their own
> system... Would take less energy than the continual carping on
> here :-)
>

> --
> Kind Regards Russell
> The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and
> stupidity - Harlan Ellison
> Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain
> Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
> bikes.no-ip.info westcom.no-ip.info
> 2010 TCR 1 Alliance 2010 Giant Bowery SS 2010 BMW K1300R
> Linux user #369094

I never was apart of sounder so pardon me, but you guys could always
just get a VDS from a place like NFOServers $39USD per month for 1TB
bandwidth for on a 1Gbs line. 1 core from a Intel Xeon w/ 1GB of ram,
100GB of HDD space. Just throw a paypal or some sort of group pay and
you should have it covered. :)

//Yeah I don't understand whats going on with sounder really, just here
for tech. But I thought I'd mention NFOServers since we use them on some
of our projects.

Donald Talbert <donaldtalbert at gmail.com>
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: