Proposition for a new list to replace Sounder

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 21 14:03:43 UTC 2011

On 21/06/11 22:13, Alan Pope wrote:
> Basil.
>
> On 21 June 2011 12:43, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>> 5 days ago I posted the following message as a response to Alan in a thread
>> which was already rather long and as a result I feel that many people have
>> simply did not read my post as they were "fed up" with the contents of that
>> thread by that stage.
>>
> Tip: Change the subject of the mail if you're introducing new subject
> matter into the thread. That way it's more likely to get noticed than
> when buried in a thread about the new desktop.

In the thread, "Brief thoughts on Unity" you wrote, dated 13 June-

QUOTE

On 13/06/11 20:15, Alan Pope wrote:
On 13 June 2011 08:55, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> From a closer read of the OP's message one could conclude that there are
> quite a number of implicit technical questions in that post in which case
> there would be no contravention of the spirit of what could be posted in
> this list.

Oh please. If the OP wanted technical help he could have sent specific
targetted questions. He and you have been on this list long enough to
know that "blog post" style posts are not requests for technical help
but more people ranting/venting about what happens to annoy them that
day/week. The final line of his mail makes this pretty clear.

> At the same time, someone, who shall remain nameless, has removed a mail
> list where people were able to post messages of a broader and more
> general
> nature, but since that list has not been replaced in any way shape or
> form
> by anything which is less restrictive and anal-retentive in nature which
> would allow Ubuntu members to express themselves then the only place
> where
> people can express themselves is here.

There's plenty of lists / forums / irc channels online for the open
unrestricted discussion of all manner of subjects. This list isn't
that.

UNQUOTE

to which I then replied in the words below-

>> Alan, is there any reason, *ANY* reason at all, why a new mail list could
>> not be started to replace Sounder?

> Plenty of reason why there couldn't, but no reason not to request one.
> New lists can be requested on the Canonical IS team request tracker.
> https://rt.ubuntu.com/
>
> What purpose would the list have? We don't tend to create lists
> randomly, they get requested for a particular team or project.

You aren't really paying attention or listening, are you?

I am asking YOU the question, and I have given you the reasons for such
a request with the conditions of having such a list.

>> But a list which:
>> 1. is NOTarchived, and
>> 2. is *NOT* accessed by google

which are the words I have now repeated in this new thread.

So, where is this rubbish about introducing a new subject into a thread
coming from on your part?

I simply responded to what YOU had already written in that thread.

But not having received a comment I started a new thread - this one -
only to get this crap:

Tip: Change the subject of the mail if you're introducing new subject
matter into the thread. That way it's more likely to get noticed than
when buried in a thread about the new desktop.

And just in case you haven't read properly what I wrote at the beginning
of this thread, I wrote:

QUOTE

5 days ago I posted the following message as a response to Alan in a thread
which was already rather long and as a result I feel that many people have
simply did not read my post as they were "fed up" with the contents of that
thread by that stage.

UNQUOTE

> Nothing stopping someone subscribing and archiving it. e.g.
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22I+posted+the+following+message+as+a+response+to+Alan%22

The administrator of every mail list or forum has full control of
whether to allow google to access that list or forum and store the
contents for all eternity in google's databases.

I can give you the names of 2 mail lists in which I am personally
involved which are not only *not* archived but their contents are also
*NOT* available to google for capture.

I am surprised that you are not aware of this.

>> therefore making it "invisible" except to the participants of that list?
>> Make the list "open-ended" but still moderated to ensure that total
>> foul-mouthed
> Perhaps if you'd kept the obscenity out I'd take this mail more seriously.

Ce`?

"Obscenity"?

What "obscenity" are you talking about?!

(Has someone been posting "obscenities" under my name, just like the
post from 'Alan' asking for comments/votes about having Sounder
re-instated?)

BC

--

The Annual General Meeting of Psychics has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.
                        The Organising Committee