Natty: nvidia driver as activated but not currently in use

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 21 13:45:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:44:30 -0400
Ric Moore wrote:

> > immediately after doing a fresh install of the OS I run the "Additional
> > Drivers" tool to install any required proprietary drivers.  When I try
> > to install: NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (current version)
> > [Recommended] It reports that the driver is "activated but not
> > currently in use", whatever that means.
>
> There has been several occasions I had to run that several times before
> it activated. No idea why, but persistence seems to win out. Can't hurt,
> give that a whirl. :) Ric

I haven't seen earlier posts in this thread, I'm afraid, but I get this
even though the nvidia driver is actually being used.  Are you sure that
the driver is not actually in use, even though it is reported as not
currently in use? There seems to be a known bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/771788

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings will tell you whether the driver is
actually being used.  You should also get a brief nvidia logo when you boot
up.

My understanding is that a fix is in the process of being released.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources