(LTS) how can I get decent resolution on X?

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Jun 15 13:49:36 UTC 2011

I have several Sun V40's that I have in racks connected to KVM switches,
and ultimately to KVM's. I am having a hard time getting X to give me a
usable resolution on these.

I have conected a cable directly from one of thes to the KVM drawer, and
rebooted it, but still no luck. lspci tells me that I have:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems Blade 3D PCI/AGP
(rev 3a)

I don't seem to have a good xorg.conf file for this particular graphixs
card.

How can I get this working?