how to remove bind?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 17:33:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 May 2011 22:41, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I do not wish to use the oldĀ  version of bind that ubuntu ships with.
>> Since they try force people to use their versions by splitting bind (and
>> most other things) up into 199 different packages making it frustrating to a
>> point most people give up and stick with what micro$oft, im sorry, i mean
>> ubuntu, want to dictate we use on our pc's, has anyone found a way to
>> completely rid this OS of this rubbish?

> The question that nobody seems to be asking is: why?
>
> BIND is FOSS and DNS resolution is absolutely integral to a modern
> Unix, so yes, you are indeed going to have a very *very* hard time
> removing it. There are other DNS stacks for Unix but BIND is more or
> less universal in Linux distros and FOSS Unices in general, AFAIK.
>
> As for an absence of choice - well, I found it amusing when I briefly
> tried (and quickly discarded Gentoo) that this distro, whose users
> like to think of it as the epitome of choice, did not offer me one of
> the few choices about internal plumbing that I actually wanted.
>
> A BSD-style Init.
> I've never liked the SysV init much myself. Slackware doesn't use a
> SysV init - it has a simpler, clear and comprehensible BSD init. Why
> doesn't Gentoo offer this? When I asked in the fora, I was mocked by
> the few who understood the question. Most did not, of course.

For the record: Arch uses a BSD-style init - and AFAIK file-rc in
Debian is also a BSD-style init.

> But, no, basically, you can't remove BIND from Ubuntu. It's a core
> dependency. If you are frustrated by this lack of control, then I'm
> afraid you're using the wrong distro and you will not get on with any
> Debian derivative.

Bind itself isn't a core dependency of any distro. The problem here
are dnsutils and bind9-host. You have to remove them and the bind
libraries upon which they depend - like libdns, libbind, libisc,
libisccfg - if they are provided by bind upstream - with dpkg (forcing
the uninstall), set apt not to reinstall the versions in the
repositories, and compile and install bind from source.