how to remove bind?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 14:40:12 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 22:41, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not wish to use the old  version of bind that ubuntu ships with.
> Since they try force  people to use their versions by splitting bind (and
> most other things) up into 199 different packages making it frustrating to a
> point most people give up and stick with what micro$oft, im sorry, i mean
> ubuntu, want to dictate we use on our pc's, has anyone found a way to
> completely rid this OS of this rubbish?
>
> I thought I did but today update manager tried to insist I need install all
> these files  *sigh*

The question that nobody seems to be asking is: why?

BIND is FOSS and DNS resolution is absolutely integral to a modern
Unix, so yes, you are indeed going to have a very *very* hard time
removing it. There are other DNS stacks for Unix but BIND is more or
less universal in Linux distros and FOSS Unices in general, AFAIK.

As for an absence of choice - well, I found it amusing when I briefly
tried (and quickly discarded Gentoo) that this distro, whose users
like to think of it as the epitome of choice, did not offer me one of
the few choices about internal plumbing that I actually wanted.

A BSD-style Init.

I've never liked the SysV init much myself. Slackware doesn't use a
SysV init - it has a simpler, clear and comprehensible BSD init. Why
doesn't Gentoo offer this? When I asked in the fora, I was mocked by
the few who understood the question. Most did not, of course.

But, no, basically, you can't remove BIND from Ubuntu. It's a core
dependency. If you are frustrated by this lack of control, then I'm
afraid you're using the wrong distro and you will not get on with any
Debian derivative.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com