GNU GPL

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 00:04:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:
> On 01/29/2011 01:48 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

>>> You didn't read what I wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I did read it. I understood it. I am telling you that you are wrong.
>>
>>> I said that Gmail deletes messages from
>>>  _received,_ i.e., incoming mail.
>>
>> I know what you said. Gmail DOES NOT DELETE ANY OF YOUR MESSAGES.
>>
>> Clear? It *does not delete your email.*
>>
>> It does not /show/ it in a message list BUT IT IS STILL THERE and you
>> can see it in your Sent folder.
>>
>> If it then puts them back if they are
>>
> Here is a message from the Debian list, quoted in toto:

>> >  Many thanks to all who replied.  I appreciate you taking the time.
>> >  >  It is moderately annoying as I use my Gmail account with POP3, set
>> >  download and remove all messages from the server.  I am also using the
>> >  Gmail SMTP server, and it appears that mail sent goes to the webmail's
>> >  Sent folder - and there is no option in the Gmail interface to disable
>> >  Google saving a copy when I deliver mail via SMTP.
>
> Yes, and it is one of those documented "features" of Gmail:
>
> ***
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=82454#Bounce
>
> Finally, if you're sending mail to a mailing list that you subscribe to,
> those messages will only appear in 'Sent Mail.' This behavior also occurs
> when sending to an email address that automatically forwards mail back to
> your Gmail address. To test forwarding addresses or mailing lists, use a
> different email address to send your message.
> ***
>
> Another bypass to jump this "feature" and still keep using your Gmail
> address in the reply-to field could be using a different "smtp" gateway
> service for sending e-mails instead using Gmail's one. Some e-mail
> servers will allow to relay the e-mail if you provide the right
> credentials for authentication.
>
> Greetings,
>
> -- Camaleón
>
> Now here is a completely independent corroboration of what I
> have said. It really doesn't matter what shows in a "sent mail" directory.
> That doesn't mean the mail got delivered to the mailing list, it just means
> that it was picked up by the server. After that it could have been sent to
> /dev/nul and no-one would be the wiser. --doug

It's not confirmation. Nothing is being deleted. There is a world of
difference between "hidden" and "deleted". The message is there, was
delivered, it just does not appear unless someone replies to it.

I don't like the functionality either - I think it's a dumb idea - but
claiming that it is something different or that something is occurring
that is not is unhelpful, unproductive and in the end untrue.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com