GNU GPL

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jan 29 22:51:03 UTC 2011

On 01/29/2011 01:48 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Doug<dmcgarrett at optonline.net>  wrote:

>>> *Sigh*
>>>
>>> No, it doesn't. Please do not spread FUD when you clearly don't know
>>> the exact details of what you're complaining about.
>>>
>>> Gmail does not show you messages *from yourself* /until/ someone
>>> replies to them. That's all. It does not delete anything and your
>>> outgoing messages are still right there in your Sent folder.
>>>
>>> No, I don't like the behaviour, but it doesn't delete anything.
>>>
>> You didn't read what I wrote:
> Yes, I did read it. I understood it. I am telling you that you are wrong.
>
>> I said that Gmail deletes messages from
>>   _received,_ i.e., incoming mail.
> I know what you said. Gmail DOES NOT DELETE ANY OF YOUR MESSAGES.
>
> Clear? It *does not delete your email.*
>
> It does not /show/ it in a message list BUT IT IS STILL THERE and you
> can see it in your Sent folder.
>
> If it then puts them back if they are

Here is a message from the Debian list, quoted in toto:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:40:15 +0000, elbbit wrote:

> >  Many thanks to all who replied.  I appreciate you taking the time.
> >
> >  It is moderately annoying as I use my Gmail account with POP3, set to
> >  download and remove all messages from the server.  I am also using the
> >  Gmail SMTP server, and it appears that mail sent goes to the webmail's
> >  Sent folder - and there is no option in the Gmail interface to disable
> >  Google saving a copy when I deliver mail via SMTP.
Yes, and it is one of those documented "features" of Gmail:

***
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=82454#Bounce

Finally, if you're sending mail to a mailing list that you subscribe to,
those messages will only appear in 'Sent Mail.' This behavior also occurs
when sending to an email address that automatically forwards mail back to
your Gmail address. To test forwarding addresses or mailing lists, use a
different email address to send your message.
***

Another bypass to jump this "feature" and still keep using your Gmail
address in the reply-to field could be using a different "smtp" gateway
service for sending e-mails instead using Gmail's one. Some e-mail
servers will allow to relay the e-mail if you provide the right
credentials for authentication.

Greetings,

-- CamaleĆ³n Now here is a completely independent corroboration of what I
have said. It really doesn't matter what shows in a "sent mail"
directory. That doesn't mean the mail got delivered to the mailing list,
it just means that it was picked up by the server. After that it could
have been sent to /dev/nul and no-one would be the wiser. --doug