create a boot-able disk from an iso file

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Tue Jan 11 22:23:22 UTC 2011

On 11/01/11 22:33, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Bill Stanley<bstanle at wowway.com>  wrote:
>>
>> By the way is that a single ULR?  My email program (Thunderbird) made it
>> into several lines.
>>
> Looks like one to me.
>
>> I would tell to save any important documents to a shared folder.  (one that
>> is actually a Linux folder.  Would a virus be able to do any harm to
>> documents stored there?
> If you're running Windows, then yes, of course.  The virus doesn't
> (necessarily) know or care what file system is underneath the files it
> modifies.  If you're running in Windows and a virus goes after a file,
> it will be modified (as long as the permissions so allow).  If it
> happens to be a Linux executable, then chances are that the changes
> will corrupt the file and it won't run (on Linux), but there are
> UNIX/Linux viruses out there, too,  They're just considerably rarer
> than Win viruses (millions).

ZenWiz,
Please, show me one!
There are so many claims of viruses for Linux but I never saw one  and
I'm working with Unix since 1978 and with Linux since 1992. Of course
there are methods to enter Unix/Linux systems but gain access to root -
which is a necessity for doing serious damage - is IMO only possible due
to neglect by the owner (e.g. using root as his main user).
Even planting malware like key-grabbers can only be achieved when Linux
users are careless or help from the inside is given. But correct me if
I'm wrong.
Joep

Joep