10.10 not recognizing dvd player

G. pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:02:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 26/12/2010 09:19, G. wrote:
>> I have an HP G62 notebook running 11.04.
>
> 11.04 has not been released. It's in the alpha stage therefore you must
> expect problems. And when you do strike a problem then submit a bug
> report so that the bug is known to the devs and can be 'fixed'.
>
>>    When I start Ubuntu with a
>> DVD/CD in the drive, file manager lists the device.  If I eject the
>> cd/dvd and insert another, file manager does not list the device.  I
>> think that if I insert a cd or dvd after booting,
>
> ....you "think that if I tried..." but have you tried it? And is the
> following the result....
>
>>    I have tried video dvd's first and data
>> cd's second and vice versa, with the same result as aforementioned.
>
> ....that you tried what you thought that you would try above? :-)
>
> It makes it so much better to help others when there are no ambiguities
> in the questions being asked :-) .
>
> Personally, I would just boot the computer with NO DVDs or CDs in place
> (unless you are using one of these to either install a new OS or to do
> some repair work) and then insert the DVD/CD when you are ready to use
> use it.
>
> (Things don't always work as they are supposed to work. Not too long ago
> there was a person here asking why he had to "eject"/(safely remove)
> TWICE a flash drive before the icon on the desktop would actually disappear.
>
> I discovered quite recently that what he was experiencing WAS a fact and
> not imagination. If you have a flash drive in the USB port and then
> "Safely Remove" it but WATCH the flash to see that it is safe to remove
> (its light will flash a couple of times or more) but then if you then do
> not immediately remove it after these flashes stop you may very well
> find that the darn thing will be reread as a new insert - which means
> that it you will need to "safely remove" it a second time. Doesn't
> happen every time, but it does happen.)
>
> BC
>
> --
> "Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die."

Holidays been in the way so been a while.

Thanks for your replies.  Much appreciated.

To clarify, I am using 10.10 not 11.

When I insert DVD's, the DVD is mounted and I can read/play the DVD.
I can not read the next DVD regardless of how I eject the first.  If I
reboot, I can read/play another DVD.

Using Windows 7 on the same computer, I can eject one DVD and insert
another DVD and be able to read the second.

I hope this clarifies the problem.

Thanks for any advice and happy new year!  I appreciate this group a great deal.

gary k