wireless chip deleted from lspci output

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 02:23:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3-4 days back on my Ubuntu 11.04 machine wirless suddenly stopped
> working.Googling forum etc showed STA driver was the cause of problem
> so as per this link
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1732258.html
> installed the b43 driver (blacklisting etc done)
>
> by issuing
> Code:
> sudo apt-get purge firmware-b43*
> sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
> Things worked smooth after a reboot I was able to get wireless
> back.Today morning I see the wireless again not detected and
> lsmod does not shows any wireless driver module loaded,
> lspci -vnn does not even shows the wireless chip which used to be present as
> Code:
> 14e4:4315
> What went wrong here? What could be done?
> I had installed Oracle Virtualbox yesterday and it was using wlan0 for
> its networking as interface which used to be my wireless card.
> --
> Regards
> Abhi

I noticed this problem in my machine is caused by presence of Oracle
VirtualBox VM's.
The guest OS has bridged interface named wlna0 and the wifi card also
uses wlan0 which is what is causing
problem when ever I boot the laptop wifi stops working if I have a
guest OS but if I do not have a gues OS then
this problem does not come.