Open Office and / or Libre Office

LinuxIsOne reallife at hmamail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:31:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:

> 1. Some applications which are default of 10.04 and not in other
> > higher versions, would they (all or one) get uninstalled or would
> > remain there..., like what would happen of OO?
>
> Generally, applications are not uninstalled for you between upgrades.
> There is, to my knowledge, one exception - OpenOffice.org is replaced
> with LibreOffice because, at the time of the upgrade, the change was
> in name only.
>
> > 2. Is it recommended that I do this or not, means I should do this or
> > not...? Since Unity would come ....or something like my present gnome
> > would be wiped out...?
>
> It depends what you want. If you do not want to lose Gnome 2 (the
> default on Ubuntu prior to 10.10) then don't upgrade beyond 10.10 (it's
> an option in 10.10). But, at some point, you will end up without Gnome
> 2, and either be using plain Gnome 3 (which is not at all like Gnome 2)
> or Unity (which is also quite different, though arguably less so).
>
> > 3. I cannot upgrade from LTS to LTS?
>
> Yes, this is supported, too; the next LTS is 12.04, due in April and,
> from all accounts, is shaping up rather nicely.
>
> The supported paths are:
>
> LTS -> next LTS
> LTS -> next normal release
> Normal release -> next normal release

So the best choice for me is LTS -> next LTS.

> So if you do upgrade to the next normal release, you wont then be able
> to go straight to 12.04 when it is released. Personally, I'd stick with
> where you are at the moment and either:
>
> 1) Remove openoffice.org and use the LibreOffice you downloaded
> 2) Remove the LibreOffice you downloaded and use the older
> OpenOffice.org
> 3) Remove both of them and install via PPA.
>
> Which one is most appropriate dpends upon what your priorities are - #1
> gets you the most straightforward upgrades, #2 next most
> straightforward, and #3 the least straightforward (but still not
> especially complex).
>
> In contrast, #3 gets you the newest LibreOffice, #2 the next newest,
> and #1 a relatively old OpenOffice.org
>
> As for the effort involved in getting to that state, #1 is easiest
> (simpy remove the openoffice.org package), #2 next so, and #3 the most
> complex. But, again, not so difficult. You could use it as CLI
> practice :)

I guess that option 3) is suited for me. So first I uninstall _both_ and
then install LO.....

But a small query:  Is it really neccessary to UNinstall OO after I install
LO. However, I would use only LO but would OO (if it remains there in the
sys.) cause a conflict with LO...? It happens really? And I have to (or
should?) remove OO only because I don't use it and uses OO?