Open Office and / or Libre Office

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sun Dec 11 15:43:45 UTC 2011

LinuxIsOne wrote:

> > > 3. I cannot upgrade from LTS to LTS?
> >
> > Yes, this is supported, too; the next LTS is 12.04, due in April
> > and, from all accounts, is shaping up rather nicely.
> >
> > The supported paths are:
> >
> > LTS -> next LTS
> > LTS -> next normal release
> > Normal release -> next normal release
> >

> So the best choice for me is LTS -> next LTS.

I would say so. The Unity shipping in 12.04 is a good deal better than
that in 11.10 from what I hear, and any progress on MATE (an attempt at
a Gnome 2.x for machines running Gnome 3) will improve it there, too.

If all you're particularly looking to upgrade is OpenOffice.org/Libre
Office, then I'd just upgrade that and wait until April before
dist-upgrading.

> I guess that option 3) is suited for me. So first I uninstall _both_
> and then install LO.....
>
> But a small query:  Is it really neccessary to UNinstall OO after I
> install LO. However, I would use only LO but would OO (if it remains
> there in the sys.) cause a conflict with LO...? It happens really?
> And I have to (or should?) remove OO only because I don't use it and
> uses OO?

I would like to think not - the danger, as I understand it, is that the
LibreOffice installation changes some components that OpenOffice.org
uses. If you've no intention of using OpenOffice.org, that shouldn't
really matter.

--
Avi