Unity breaks basic UI principles

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Sat Apr 30 05:54:55 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 30/04/2011 00:21, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 29 April 2011 22:48, PleegWat <pleegwat at telfort.nl> wrote:
>> The most important aspect (which icons are on the side bar) is already
>> configurable. However, I'd like to be able to configure the following, and
>> haven't found any of them yet:
>>
>> * The side of the screen it's on. It's on the left side of the primary
>> monitor, which plain doesn't work if you've got a second monitor on the
>> left-hand side of the primary
> That's not an option in 11.04.
I remember something about open source being all about choice. That
sounds slightly incompatible with "that's not an option". :)
> * Let me pick what to show in the main (ubuntu logo/windows button)
> menu. Of
>> the 8 icons there, 4 are not important enough to me to get such a prominent
>> position, and some others would likely also get demoted. Additionally, allow
>> me to reduce the icon size - there's room for way more in there than is on
>> it currently.
> That's called the dash.
>
> At the moment they are hard coded to use your default browser, mail client etc.
I remember something about open source being all about choice. That
sounds slightly incompatible with "they are hard coded". :)
>> * 'Apps available for download'. If I'm using the search feature to find an
>> application, I can see this having a use, but if I want to start an
>> application I know I've already got installed I'd much rather have more
>> entries on 'most frequently used', have 'all apps' expanded by default, and
>> hide 'available for download' altogether
> I don't think that's possible yet.
I remember something about open source being all about choice. That
sounds slightly incompatible with "I don't think that's possible". :)

It seems for me that either the choice of Unity isn't a good one for the
open source world... or it's just not ready for mass consumption yet.

In any case, at least, I am glad that I can go to the Login Screen
settings manager and set my default session to "Ubuntu Classic" and
forget all about Unity. :)

Gilles.