Unity breaks basic UI principles

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Apr 30 08:09:23 UTC 2011

On 30 April 2011 06:54, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:
> I remember something about open source being all about choice. That
> sounds slightly incompatible with "that's not an option". :)

Choice is a by-product not a feature in and of itself.

>> At the moment they are hard coded to use your default browser, mail client etc.
> I remember something about open source being all about choice. That
> sounds slightly incompatible with "they are hard coded". :)

You appear to have deliberately ignored "at the moment". The subtext
of that is "Ubuntu 11.04 came out less than a week ago after intense
development. Some things didn't make the cut. 3rd party hackers [like
ubuntu tweak developers] havent had long to fiddle with it. So perhaps
the situation will change over the next 6 months".

Also, if you want this feature, file a wishlist bug or propose a
solution to the Ayatana mailing list. That's where the designers hang
out.

> It seems for me that either the choice of Unity isn't a good one for the
> open source world... or it's just not ready for mass consumption yet.

If by "mass consumption" you mean "me" then yeah, it may not be.

Al.