Explain to me again why Unity is so great...

Zach zach at zcsmith.com
Fri Apr 22 19:26:33 UTC 2011

     I'm asking this in all sincerity as I'm trying to grasp as to why
Ubuntu is so hell-bent on promoting this desktop when, from what I've
seen so far, it's nothing to write home about.  I realize that I can
fall back onto "classic" Ubuntu but I've read that starting with 11.10
this may no longer be the case as the "classic" Gnome desktop will not
be a choice.

     For all practical purposes, Unity is very limited in the way it can
be customized/personalized.  The top panel cannot be moved, hidden or
deleted, there is no way to add panels for say, creating your own
"launcher" (as I've done in Gnome).  Hitting the super key in Unity and
typing a few letters is the equivalent of what can be accomplished with
the Gnome-Do app.  There is a convoluted "menu" system that I'm still
trying to figure out how to efficiently get around in and the list goes
on and on.

     I was a SuSE user for roughly ten years when I tried Ubuntu for the
first time a couple of months ago and was really impressed with it, so
much so that I am now a former SuSE user.  Be that as it may, I am not
the least bit impressed with Unity or the direction Ubuntu is headed if
what I've read is true.  I suppose I can switch to X/Kubuntu but would
prefer not to.  I guess I can always head back to OpenSuSE as well.

     If there is something that I've missed with Unity or if there are
some major plans to improve/increase its usability then tell me but for
now, I just can't believe all the hoopla surrounding what is essentially
a step backwards in the area of productivity.

     Zach