Multibooting with Grub2

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 02:35:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27,October,2010 09:37 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> but it can't boot the Linuxes 'cos their Grub2s have gone.
>>

> The grub2s are still there. Understand XOSL cannot boot linuxes
> 'natively', but chainloads into other bootloaders to boot them. So if it
> chainloads into a grub2 file which does not point into its own
> partition, it won't boot.

Yes, I understand, but the Grub2 from 2 of the distros pointed at the
MBR, not at the partition. I'm not sure how to change this - I can't
see any mention of what drive or volume to use in /etc/default/grub at
all. On the 3rd distro, I uninstalled Grub2 & installed Lilo instead,
but I'm not sure it's actually working.

Good old Lilo. I kinda miss Lilo. You knew where you were with Lilo.
OK, where you were was up $h!+ creek without a paddle if you changed
your kernel & forgot to rerun it, but it was simple, easy to
understand & easy to customize. GRUB I never fully understood and
GRUB2 I don't really follow at all.

>> Grub2 issues terrifying warnings if I try to install it to the
>> partition instead of the disk. Is this in fact safe?
>
> Yes, it is safe (for non-newbies, like you).

:¬) Thanks! I will try it.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com