Checking hard disk with fsck

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 29 00:57:48 UTC 2010

On 29/10/2010 00:15, Li Li wrote:

[pruned]

> On my most valuable desktop I actually have an 8 GiB partition with
> Knoppix which I start from the DVD with the fromhd=/dev/sdx cheatcode.

[pruned]

>    I'm old enough to remember when Knoppix was the *only*
> liveCD; I still think it's the best general purpose one because of its
> superior hardware detection.

I was helping a friend with a problem on one of his Linux installations,
one of which was Knoppix where he said that something was not working -
it didn't recognise an USB device. Considering that the same device,
which I use, has always been recognised by all other Linux distros I
thought that I would download and install Knoppix to see for myself. I
installed Knoppix 6.2.

Knoppix did NOT recognise my printers, my scanner nor my external USB
HD. It didn't even know the "lshw" command - "no such command found".
And even though it would connect to the Knoppix home page with its
built-in browser it "told" me that it couldn't upgrade the system
because I didn't have an internet connection.

The most brain-dead distro I have come across.

BC

--
"Ning Yu displayed his wisdom while the country followed System, but when it did not, he acted stupid. His wisdom is achievable by others, his stupidity is not."
                                         Confucius