Checking hard disk with fsck

Li Li lili_lilly at charter.net
Thu Oct 28 13:15:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 07:59 +0100, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 28 October 2010 07:20, Anthony Papillion <papillion at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So I was going to check the disk using fsck but, when I tried, it warned
> > me that the filesystem was already mounted and that 'SEVERE' damage
> > would happen if I continued. Obviously, I don't want that to happen so
> > I'm asking you all: how do I properly check a hard disk for errors?
> Do it at startup.
> sudo touch /forcefsck
> Then reboot.
>
> In the past you could do a shutdown -Fr now but that's no longer supported.
Or use a liveCD; there are lots now dedicated to recovery and repair and
they all have a terminal and fsck.  The advantage is that if you find a
problem you're already in an environment set up to do the r & r.

On my most valuable desktop I actually have an 8 GiB partition with
Knoppix which I start from the DVD with the fromhd=/dev/sdx cheatcode.
There's also a persistance file, so I'm almost instantly in a
comfortable, familiar environment with all the other partitions
unmounted but available.  I boot it once a month or so and fsck.extn
-vfc everything.  I'm old enough to remember when Knoppix was the *only*
liveCD; I still think it's the best general purpose one because of its
superior hardware detection.

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions