Ubuntu 10.10 Sound Problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 18 18:24:34 UTC 2010

On 10/16/2010 06:28 PM, Adil ALPMAN wrote:
> Hi Everybody;
>
> I have installed ubuntu 10.10 (fresh installation) from ubuntu dvd tonight.
>
> My soundcard is Sound Blaster 5.1 VX
> (http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=207&prodID=17510&prodName=Sound%20Blaster%205.1%20VX&subCatName=Others&CatName=Sound+Blaster&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_17510,VARSET=CategoryID:1)
> in the past (in ubuntu 10.04) i can get a sound from this soundcard but i
> cant get sound in kubuntu 10.04 but now, i cant get sound from this card in
> ubuntu 10.10.
>
> Ubuntu meet it as SoundBlaster CA106 and when i click test the right side of
> the soundcard in sound properties page i see a new page that 5+1 speakers
> (because i use this card with creative inspire 5200 5+1 speaker system and i
> choose 5.1 analog input + 1 analog output option in ubuntu) and when i see
> "test" button on each seperated button on the different speakrs i heard only
> noise like a radio that cant find any channel (only noise)...
>
> On the other hand, i heard same noise in system sounds too (while system
> startup or shutdown, closing firefox or etc) i go to console and i input
> alsamixer prompt then i choose f6 (because there is another onboard
> soundcard on my mainboard [Asrock P4i65G] but it is disabled from the bios)
> but my creative soundcard looks like choosen...
Look through these to see if any of them match your problem:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bugs?field.searchtext=CA0106&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>

Perhaps:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/652618

Recommend that you join that bug report. Install the driver modules:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/InstallingLinuxAlsaDriverModules
and then report back on that bug report.

Don't forget to read:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/658623
and the others.