Help upgrading to 10.10

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:19:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 05:39 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > You know, all this is getting hairier and hairier.
> >
> > Why can't there be a STABLE or at least a well publicised way of doing
> > such things?
> >
> > I am not going over some of the responses to questions about how to
> > upgrade to 10.10 posted here over the past week.
> >
> > But, frankly, to a new comer (a 'newbie') the responses are simply
> > mind-boggling :'( .
>
> I don't see what your problem is.
>
> The OP asked how he could upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 at the CLI and I answered.
>
> Jordon objected to some extra typing and Marius objected to being careful/unixy.
>
> That's it.

I have to agree with Basil, it's not clear that there is one official
way of upgrading, and it got me confused during the reading of it. Not
that I'm a stranger to confusion amongst the Linux ranks, having evolved
from the 11 floppy disk install of Slackware, before CD's were in common
use, to the "Click here to continue" GUI of today. But for a Newbie,
confusion turns to fear. That ain't good. OTOH, it IS all about choice.
That is good. But, again, confusion is not good.

My 4 cents. (which is 2 cents taking inflation into account) Ric

Linux user# 44256