Help upgrading to 10.10

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 14:59:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 05:39:05AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> The OP asked how he could upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 at the CLI and I
>> answered.
>>
>> Jordon objected to some extra typing and Marius objected to being
>> careful/unixy.
>
> I didn't object, I was curious if there were any possible negative
> consequences of not using the --mode option I'd no idea even existed.

I was referring to my instruction to use recovery mode not "--mode..."
when I said "careful/unixy".

As I said when I replied to Jordon earlier, as of the 9.04 to 9.10
upgrade (I haven't tried since) do-release-upgrade wouldn't upgrade a
desktop install without "--mode...". You can even see that the
do-release-upgrade instructions are generally in a "Network Upgrade
for Ubuntu Servers" section, probably because Ubuntu/Canonical assumes
that desktop users will/thinks that desktop users should use the GUI
and update-manager.