difference between "do-release-upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 5 01:54:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:11:03 +0200
Florian Diesch <diesch at spamfence.net> wrote:

> No. do-release-upgrade downloads the real upgrade program from the
> server
> (http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid-proposed/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/lucid.tar.gz
> for 10.04). This program contains up-to-date fixes for problems that
> can't be handled by the packages themselves, e.g. enforcing some
> packages to get upgraded first even is this is not enforced by
> dependencies, and some code for clean up after the upgrade.

I Dled that file and opened some of the scripts to take a look.  Gads,
there are a /lot/ of quirks to overcome!  It's a wonder any of us end
up with workable installations.

I did, though!

I just got through with doing the upgrade from Lucid to Maverick via,
"release-upgrade -d," and ended up at a command line.  Logging in
and issuing, "startx," didn't work, there were no error messages
displayed.Luckily, I know to adjust the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and remove
my nvidia driver, substituting the nv driver. Not being a real Linux
professional, I had to first install mc. A reboot gave me a normal
login but graphics were pretty screwed up as you can probably imagine
until I disabled Compiz, enabling Metacity, and got the nvidia driver
again.  Finally everything is working right again but I fear for the
folks who don't know these tricks and have/use nvidia cards and
software.
So far everything else works fine and I'm once again pleased to have
upgraded instead of keeping the old.

Thank you, Ubuntu.

Cybe R. Wizard
	Winduhs