difference between "do-release-upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Mon Oct 4 20:11:03 UTC 2010

"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> writes:

> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:43:08 -0400
> Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
>> <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:

>> > I have no info to which to link, but I think Alan hit it on the head
>> > when he said that the official method disables 3rd party
>> > repositories. That is likely the single and only thing separating
>> > the methods.
>>
>> That can be done manually and is, in fact, recommended in Debian
>> release notes.
>>
> If done, doesn't the apt-get method do just what 'release-upgrade -d'
> or 'do-release-upgrade do'?

No. do-release-upgrade downloads the real upgrade program from the
server
(http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid-proposed/main/dist-upgrader-all/current/lucid.tar.gz
for 10.04). This program contains up-to-date fixes for problems that
can't be handled by the packages themselves, e.g. enforcing some
packages to get upgraded first even is this is not enforced by
dependencies, and some code for clean up after the upgrade.

   Florian
--
Creating PDF files from other PDF files, turning and resizing pages,
multiple pages on one sheet, adding bookmarks, and more: