No easy mounting of nfs shares (Maverick)

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 17:55:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:24 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>
>> Oh, and (to all that read this) please don't start a big flame war about what
>> I just said - my question was about finding a good way to mount/umount nfs
>> shares on the GUI (once set up, the KDE 3 desktop made this possible with one
>> mouse click, so I'm a little unhappy to have to use the command line or write
>> scripts because I'm a lazy guy :)
>
> He's completely correct. It IS strange that it will automagically want
> to set up Samba shares to some stinkin' Winders machine, but not another
> Linux boxen via NFS. I noticed that over a week ago, while setting up
> IAM for Mom's Machine... which I resolved with a hand edit. No biggie,
> but it made me go Hmmmmmm.
>
> I have both Gnome and KDE, and both have the same behavior. Maybe it is
> assumed that the world being connected to, with a gui, is only to
> Windows? Die-hard Linux-only users can handle hand edits, right? :) Ric

>From a developer in a GNOME bug report:

<begin>
Aside from that I think it would be nice to have a "real" nfs:// support in
GVfs using the kernel driver. We could have something like an in-process
GNfsFile (like GDaemonFile) class that handles IO for nfs:// URIs (no need to
proxy it to a daemon). Then again, NFS is sorta a fringe filesystem to be using
on the desktop but many people tell me NFS is much faster than anything else.
So if it's not too much work we should probably do it...
</end>

IIUC, he then submitted a patch to gvfs to make nfs mounts in
"/etc/fstab" available to be mounted by users (I assume that they have
to have the "user" option).