No easy mounting of nfs shares (Maverick)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 4 22:22:48 UTC 2010

On 10/03/2010 03:28 PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu (but not to Linux) and to Gnome (used to use KDE before 4
> was forced on me).
>
> I've set up 10.10 (RC as far as I know), I tried autofs to mount network
> shares but it does not seem to work (the mount points specified in
> auto.master are not created, ans reloading or restarting autofs does not
> help.
>
> Now my actual question is: why does "Places/Network access to Windows shares
> (Windows Network), of which I have none, but can't access nfs shares? In the
> same way, "Connect to server" offers anything but acces to nfs servers
> (unless it is though "Custom Location" and I could not find the right syntax
> (I get "You must enter a name for the server" whatever I try).
>
> I have no problem connecting to the servers from MacOS X, and I had no problem
> doing it from Desktop links in KDE 3. KDE 4 let's me create the link but, as
> usual, it does not work ("only root can do that").
>
> nfs being the logical *nix choice for a network, it's surprising that Linux
> distribution make it so difficult for the users to use it...
>
> Thierry

Perhaps these will help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/network-file-system.html
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nfs-utils
maybe related?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nfs-utils/+bug/652497
[NFS share mounting problem - 10.10RC]
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/troubleshooting.html

Unrelated (I think):
[Anyone successfully running Lucid or Maverick as an NFS client?]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyFileSharing
[nfs was dropped as the default sometime back - but the option to
install/use was added later, can't remember when. ]