about new release which will be on 10th Oct

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Mon Oct 4 16:43:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:01 +0200, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> I'm going to be blunt. Meerkat is Beta software. Beta means that it can
> explode in your face. If you are going to play with it, you'd better
> follow the instructions exactly as described on the Ubuntu website. Please
> do not argue with that.

Maverick is a release candidate.  This is the final stage of dev. The
stages usually being: alpha, beta, release candidate, final.  You notice
how they didn't release it as Maverick beta 3, but Maverick Release
candidate?

False; on beta software, beta software doesn't mean it /will/ explode in
your face, Google proves that everyday, and so do thousands of other
companies. I'm willing to bet you (and if you didn't, then the millions
of other users) started using GMail years before it exited out of beta,
actually, it just recently exited out of beta...

Lets get a few things straight, this is his computer, not yours.  He
will do whatever he wants, how he wants.  If he chooses to upgrade the
old-skool pro way then that is his choice.  He can argue and have an
opinion about whatever he wants, I welcome it. Without breaking things
and arguing there would be no innovation.

> If you do something different, then you are on your own and your only
> option will be to format and reinstall.

Will he? I don't remember ever personally saying that!? Do you speak for
the entire list now? Should I call you Mark Shuttleworth now and inform
him? Because you, apparently, are the end-all be-all of Ubuntu
suggestions?

I'll be more than glad to try and help him if it messes up, because
unlike you I'm a real Linux professional and I believe strongly in
aiding those who need help, whether I feel he did it wrong or not. It is
not my job to tell him he is on his own, and it is not my job to judge
him, and as a knowledgeable Linux professional it is my moral duty to
aid him and try to teach him the proper way, in a ethically fit and
moral manner; unlike the immoral and unethical manner you are going
about it right now.