TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery, ANY IDEAS?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Oct 1 23:53:42 UTC 2010

On 2 October 2010 00:35, r <technical500 at talktalk.net> wrote:
> progress report on this problem, in case you think its resolved.
> The neighbourhood wireless networks are being detected, and my wireless

That's great news, it means the hardware almost certainly works fine -
but then you knew that because it works in Windows.

> modem is showing up, but I CANNOT use the internet.
>

>From your first mails it seemed like you were choosing to 'create' a
new connection. I would avise you right click network manager, edit
connections and go to the wireless tab. Delete any connections listed
there, including any you created. Once done, close the dialog, and
don't do any manual configuration at all. Simply click network manager
icon and select your access point from the list. It should ask you one
thing only, the key. This will usually be the WPA-PSK you got or set
up on the access point. Tap that in and press enter.

Under normal circumstances that's it, there's no manual configuration
to do, no MTC, no MAC, no BSSID, nothing. Just click, tap in password,
job done. It's possible that the manual config you did earlier is
being remembered by network manager and it's using that configuration.
This is why I suggest you bin that and start again.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Al.