OT -- Evolution and Window

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 18:02:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 12:48 -0400, Ray Leventhal wrote:
> On 9/17/2010 1:24 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Sorry for the slightly OT topic, but I'm infiltrating our organization
> > towards the goal of dumping Windows completely, by introducing software
> > like Evolution to their desktops to use with Google Group Calendar, for
> > our non-profit. I know, I'm being sneaky. It's my nature, I suppose.
> >
> > So, the question is has anyone installed Evolution for Windows and had
> > it work?? Had it work with Google Calendar??
> >
> > Thanks... especially to those in-office fifth columnists and fellow
> > travelers who seek to deploy Linux from within the midst of the enemy
> > camp. :) Ric
> >
> Hi Ric,
>
> While I haven't used Evolution for Windows, I'm a member of the
> aforementioned group :)  For me, in my medium-sized corporate
> environment, it was rather an easy sell.  The developers already like
> using QT for designing their applications, so that was easy. As for
> management, I simply ran the numbers for *legally* licensing everything
> they use from Redmond, vs GNU/Linux, Open Office, etc.  Seeing as how I
> do all their support anyway, it is/was a no-brainer.
>
> Keep up the good fight :)  I'll be interested in seeing what, if any,
> solutions to your issue pop up as one can never have too many tools in
> the toolbox known as 'benign subterfuge' :)

I have to play the politics carefully. My usual is to rant on our
Non-Profit receiving $5 donations from little minority church-lady
donations and then handing them over to the world's richest white man. I
get on a stump about it. You know, get to the meat of the matter and
stifle opposition to move onward. But, after I remove my head from my
hindmost, a lot of folks are in their comfort zone and there is the fear
factor to deal with. The accomplish their goals using what they have,
and what they have is already enough to scare them with all of the
buttons that they already don't understand. So, it's been glacially
slow. We DO have a couple of whizzes that only use Windows, and I'm
rocking their comfort zone as well. OTOH, I'm in charge, more or less...
probably more than they realize.

Our website runs on Linux. Then we changed our MX records to point to
our google group for calendars. I just configured evolution, and it
worked out of the box. So far, I'm the only one that has managed to do
this. We installed Evolution for Windows on our fearless leaders laptop
and the website we installed from mentions installing some added java
thing. Just wondering if anyone has set it up without some third party
add-on to enable a group calendar for Windows evolution or using another
easy method/application? Ric

Linux user# 44256