nautilus sftp log in to /home/user instead of /

Franz Waldmüller waldbauernbub at gmx.at
Sat May 1 07:38:24 UTC 2010

Hi to the ubuntu community,

I got a question concerning the handling of sftp/ssh connections in
nautilus:
when login in to
ssh://franz@web.example.com
I end up in the root / directory. On my home machine this isn't a great
problem because it is easy to find my home directory. But when trying to
access my student webspace things get a little bit more difficult:
I have to type in the direct path to my home directory. But this path is
unknown to the regular student, I had to ask the admins:

sftp://franzwald@web.student.university.edu/users/home13/franzwald

in dolphin, doing fish://franzwald@web.student.university.edu ends up in
the same directory as the above path, but the path is easy to remember.

Is there any hidden setting to tell nautilus to log into the
home-directory directly?

Thanks for any hints.

Franz