Virtualbox on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit... looking for hints.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:23:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>        I'm in the process of looking for my self, but I was wondering if
> anyone has any tested suggestions for optimizing the performance of
> Windows 7 & XP on Virtualbox.
>        Here's the setup:
> Dell Optiplex 760 - Core2 Duo 2.66 MHz, 6GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, VT enabled
> in BIOS.
> Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit
> Latest Virtualbox personal binary install. Guest additions installed in
> XP (assigned 1 CPU & 3GB RAM). Will be setting up Win7 soon.
>        The XP & Win7 32 bit installs were converted from physical courtesy of
> VMWare Converter.
>
>        Any and all tips, tricks, suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Well, I suppose it depends what you want to do with it, but I used
TinyXP in my VB VM, myself. The "bare" install, fully patched & with
IE8 etc., takes only about 50MB RAM - so for the few Windows apps I
use, I need only 512MB for good performance, certainly not 3GB.

I found the 3D extensions quite unreliable and have disabled that
support. The DxDiag tests could not complete, for example.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508