Video/Display resolution issue

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 22 06:10:03 UTC 2010

On 21/06/10 11:24, chris wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an irritating issue with screen resolution in Ubuntu 10.4
>
> Hardware  HP p4workstation 2gig ram
> Saphire Radeon X300SE video card.
> Monitor Viewsonic Ws 22inch' Widescreen  LED (TFT?)  Native resolution
> 1600x1050
> A kvmswitch
> How ever I have tried plugging the system into the monitor with out the
> kvm switch in use.  No Difference
>
> Using Unbuntu Lucid.
>
> The issue   If I use this monitor, I can not get a resolution higher
> than 1200x1080.
> The detected monitor is Default Display
>
> If I plug into my old Sony 17", I can get up to 1600x1200. The detected
> monitor is Sony
>
> The Xrandr commands are not accepted by the system, if I use a modeline
> generated by CVT.
>
> What is really irritating, is that under Ubuntu 8.04,the resolution was
> fine at 1600x1050 on the viewsonic monitor.
>
> Any pointers or help would be gratefully received
> Regards
> Chris T

Do you have the latest and greatest Radeon driver installed, or using
the default driver installed when you installed Lucid?

I have similar hassle with my 1920x1080 Viewsonic if I don't install the
latest nVidia driver for my video card; install the 'proppa' driver and
then I'm at the native resolution.

BC

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.