Video/Display resolution issue

chris chevhq at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 07:58:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 16:10 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 21/06/10 11:24, chris wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have an irritating issue with screen resolution in Ubuntu 10.4

<snip>
> I have similar hassle with my 1920x1080 Viewsonic if I don't install the
> latest nVidia driver for my video card; install the 'proppa' driver and
> then I'm at the native resolution.
>
> BC
>

> --
> Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.
Indeed, the question is am I paranoid enough!

Thanks Basil,
I am planning on installing the fglrx driver tonight, which takes all
night by modem.
However as an update, I put in a new hard drive, as the old one was
getting very noisy and running hot.
The took the kvm switch out of the loop and did a complete fresh
install.
Bingo everything fine, except the screen is not quite as sharp as I
would like with word processors etc.

However this now leaves me with the issue that when I hook it back up
with the kvm switch I am back to the 800x600 res,

Any ideas on how I can set this beast to this res so that even if I am
running it through the switch, I keep the native mode resolution?
Cheers the kiwi