Problem with ifupdown script

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Wed Jun 2 23:08:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 06:21:33PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 03:55:18PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > >
> > > This sounds like something Network Manager does quite well.
> >
> > NetworkManager won't start wlan until somebody logs in into the desktop.
>
> Actually, it will, for system connections.  You create those by placing
> files in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections _or_ from the GUI, by
> checking the 'Available to all users' checkbox in nm-connection-editor.

I bet NM is a fine program for most people who come from windows.

But not for me. I don't like its non-deterministic behavior. Sometimes
it works, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it continues to work with wlan
although I deleted all my WPA2 PSKeys (yeah, I _did_ reboot). WTF?

You never know whether you have to enter your PSK or your passphrase for
your keyring. And it doesn't say you where it will store your keys, and for
what reason.

Sometimes it shows a symbol in the tray, sometimes not. If not, you can't
figure current status and even don't know how to get out from this situation.
Then, there's no sensible information to be found in /etc/NetworkManager
directory. Whatever I do, no changes are made to this directory.

And there's no way to figure why it doesn't work. At least no way beyond
try-n-error.

Next is the brain dead ini-file format for configuration. In my first
mail in this thread I mentioned that I configure my systems automatically.
Guess what: ini-files and non-deterministic behavior are the biggest enemies
of automatic system configuration.

Please, Marius, don't take that personally. I know you want help me, and I
am deeply grateful for that. But I am really, really frustrated by this NM
and WICD crap.