How do I upgrade Ubuntu OS from the CD.

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 29 12:46:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:18:51 +1000
Stephen Michael Kuhn <yank.down.under at gmx.com> wrote:

> In all honesty - and this is not from a personal perspective, but
> from a consultant's perspective - unless there is something UTTERLY
> IRRETRIEVEABLE on that install, it's better to do a fresh
> installation than upgrade. The quantified time you spend backing up
> and doing a fresh installation is nothing in comparison to doing an
> upgrade - chasing down all the niggly bits that don't work properly,
> trying to resolve old issues that you thought were fixed, other
> system/OS related issues. However, the choice is yours to make.

I'm sorry, but I have to call FUD on that.  Ubuntu is the most easily
upgraded OS I have ever tried.  In all my upgrades (yes, up/grades/)
from Warty in 2004 it has been seamless and I have never once had to
chase down anything.  Once in a while something will not work properly
if I upgrade right away when a new version is offered, but all problems
have self-resolved with further upgrades.

I did do a new installation of 10.04 from 9.10 just to rid my system of
old links and other cruft but there is software for just that very thing
and it works very well, too.

Have you actually done an upgrade of a working Ubuntu system or have
you just listened to the FUD and are now passing it along?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
It's curtains for Windows around my house.