How do I upgrade Ubuntu OS from the CD.

Stephen Michael Kuhn yank.down.under at gmx.com
Thu Jul 29 09:18:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:35:01 pm R Wall wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an old version of Ubuntu installed. When I went to up grade to
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS I found that the Internet connection would drop out and I
> would have to start again. After doing this two times I ordered the CD.
>
> But how do I upgrade Ubuntu OS from the CD without having to set up the
> wireless network connection etc again. I can start the CD and Try or
> Install Ubuntu OS, but Install may overwrite the wireless network etc.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Roderick Wall.

In all honesty - and this is not from a personal perspective, but from a
consultant's perspective - unless there is something UTTERLY IRRETRIEVEABLE on
that install, it's better to do a fresh installation than upgrade. The
quantified time you spend backing up and doing a fresh installation is nothing
in comparison to doing an upgrade - chasing down all the niggly bits that
don't work properly, trying to resolve old issues that you thought were fixed,
other system/OS related issues. However, the choice is yours to make.

--
.:yankdownunder aka s.m.kuhn aka Elf:.

I am a traffic light, and Alan Ginzberg kidnapped my laundry in 1927!