urgent -- Curious Network Issue

nitin chandra nitinchandra1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 05:41:58 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

I have a server on which I have installed VMware also. Some time
yesterday it suddenly just stopped connecting to the router. If i do
'ifconfig' it shows the Network card is up, but does not ping to my
router (192.168.1.1) My other systems , ie Win systems are using the
router normally. I have another system connecting to the router, with
Ubuntu Lucid installed. This system i did not work on for 2 weeks but
did run the Update Manager before that. I also did ran the 'Update
Manager' on the server.

Now both the systems are not accessing the router. I have already
edited '/etc/network/interfaces', added
'/etc/network/if-up/static-route', removed Network Manager (after the
issue surfaced).

It still does not work.

On the server I was compiling a software, "maybe" some thing went
wrong, but my desktop, after fresh install, I have updated it only 1s.

so why the same error? and why at the same time ?

what am i missing?

Thanks

Nitin