sun-java versions

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 24 23:33:04 UTC 2010

On 01/24/2010 06:55 AM, sktsee wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:17:05 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> Basically, as one Ubuntu developer stated in the comment section of
> #420426, users are on their own with regard to sun-java.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/477812
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/420426
>

>>   I reckon that I'll keep downloading & installing directly from
>> java.com. Anyone know if Sun has a repository that can be linked to for
>> updates rather than relying on multiverse?
>
> I believe Sun has a svn that Ubuntu and Debian use to build their sun-
> java packages from, but they don't provide a deb repository. There are a
> few ppa's on Launchpad that have updated versions, but I would perform a
> little due diligence before using one. Then there's java-package from the
> multiverse repo which allows you to create your own sun-java package debs
> from Sun's bin file. It's been supposed to have been fixed to work with
> version 6 updates >=10.

Amazing. I don't see Ubuntu removing the flash updater and replacing
with gnash...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnash

Rather than build a .deb, I generally just move the file to
/usr/lib/jvm/ and adjust to have everything point to
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java (and of course update-alternatives
accordingly). Perhaps it would be easier to create a script/installer
like the adobe-flashplugin.

Tried openJDK previously (within the past few months) and everything
went to hell for my multiple versions of Openoffice.org, SeaMonkey &
Firefox browsers (all of which are installed independent of Ubuntu
repos). Same for the test machine with the Ubuntu flavours installed &
and took me a full afternoon to get everything sorted out.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bugs
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=openjdk-6-jre
Gotta love it...

hardy-updates (interpreters): OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
[universe]
6b11-2ubuntu2.1: amd64 i386

jaunty (interpreters): OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
6b14-1.4.1-0ubuntu12 [security]: amd64 i386

karmic-updates (java): OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
6b16-1.6.1-3ubuntu1: amd64 i386

lucid (interpreters): OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
6b17-0ubuntu2: amd64 i386