network hardware problem

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Jan 12 15:15:34 UTC 2010

Wade Smart wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:

> Motorla cable modem wired direct to computer.
> My dad had a neighbor hook up his laptop and he had no problems.
> So the port is good, the cable is good - I know its the hardware but
> Im just trying to figure out a way to cover my bases so when I sent it
> in for support - I know Im right :D
>
> Wade

Is it an actual computer? (vs. a Notebook).  A PCI Fast Ethernet NIC is,
for all intents and purposes, a freebie from any technician's workbench,
(or at most, $15 new in a shiny box) and need only be inserted in the
computer case (and secured with a single screw) for Linux to just
automatically work with it.  Might seem like admitting defeat, but trust
me, beasts dealing with support any day.