File transfer problem

Johnneylee Rollins johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:52:35 UTC 2010

<snip>
> You said the WinXP and Ubuntu 9.04 are in the same partition /dev/sda5,
> but I'm confusing, are they using the same filesystems? If so, which
> one? If not, I think they are using the same hard drive but on different
> partitions.
I'm sorry, what you've explained is "...lot of files on an ext3 file
system that is accessed via a USB port." My suggestion was to move
those files from said drive to another partition or device. I must
have mistaken the partition you mentioned as a partition you've
formatted specifically for this purpose.

My thought would be to move the files from the device and move them
somewhere, and then reformat the drive as ntfs, which windows and
linux can write to, or fat32 which everything and read and write to.
Fat32 has a few drawbacks, so I would generally go with ntfs. I'm not
a mac user, so I don't know about ntfs write support.

Goodluck,
~SpaceGhost